What If My Teenager Is Missing Teeth?
It’s essential to see your trusted Tarzana dentist regularly for many reasons. Aside from being a mandatory part for overall dental hygiene, frequent dental visits can also screen for oral cancer. Can oral cancer be prevented? In some ways, yes, oral cancer can be prevented. Not using tobacco and not drinking alcohol in excess can prevent most oral cancer. However, statistics show that one in four people diagnosed with oral cancer has no risk factors. For that reason, it’s essential to see your trusted Tarzana dentist regularly for checkups and screenings.
How many people get diagnosed with oral cancer?
The Prevent Cancer Foundation states that in 2012, there were 40,000 new cases of oral cancer diagnosed in the U.S. Of those 40,000 diagnosed, nearly 9,000 died. The Foundation also says that the five-year survival rate for oral cancer is approximately 59 percent. Additionally, mortality from oral cancer is almost twice as high in some minorities, including black males.
How can I prevent oral cancer in Los Angeles?
You can minimize your risk of getting oral cancer by preventing high-risk behaviors. These high-risk behaviors may include:
– Cigarette, cigar or pipe smoking
– Use of smokeless tobacco
– Excessive use of alcohol
Additionally, early detection is key to increasing the survival rate for these cancers.
Who is at risk for oral cancer?
Several factors may place you more at risk for oral cancer. Factors may include:
– If you’re older than 55
– Chewing or smoking tobacco
– Drinking alcohol in excels
– Exposing yourself to sunlight for extended periods
– Having an immune system that’s been weakened by certain medications
What are the symptoms of oral cancer?
You should not wait for symptoms of oral cancer to appear. Make sure you’re seeing your Los Angeles dentist for frequent screenings. If you notice any of the following symptoms, make an appointment with Dr. Kaveh Kanani. Based in Tarzana, Dr. Kanani has been practicing dental medicine for years. He’s currently providing patients with free consultations in his eco-friendly Tarzana dental office.
Potential signs of oral cancer:
- White or red patches on lips, gums, tongue, or mouth lining
- A lump that can be felt inside the mouth or on the neck
- Pain or difficulty when chewing, swallowing or speaking
- Hoarseness that lasts for a long time
- Numbness or pain in any area of the mouth that lasts for a long time
- Jaw swelling
- Loose teeth
- Difficulty wearing dentures
- Bleeding in the mouth
- Sores on the lips or in the mouth that don’t go away
- An earache that doesn’t go away
Oral Cancer Prevention
Fortunately, oral cancer is highly preventable and very treatable. However, your best shot at treating oral cancer is catching it early. Below are a few ways you can practice oral cancer prevention. In addition to the below, make sure you are making frequent visits with Dr. Kanani.
– Don’t use tobacco. If you’re currently using tobacco, quit.
– Limit alcohol to no more than one drink per day if you’re a female. For males, limit your drinking to two drinks per day.
– Stay out of the sun, especially between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. when the sun is the strongest.
– Always use a lip balm with SPF 30 or higher
– Eat a lot of fruits and vegetables
How can I detect oral cancer early?
You can practice early detection for oral cancer by following a few simple steps. First, make sure you’re visiting your trusted Tarzana dentist for regular checkups. At your regular dental checkups, make sure your Los Angeles dentist screens for oral cancer. Additionally, look at your mouth in a mirror at least once a month. If you notice something different in your mouth, talk to your dentist.
How is oral cancer treated?
Doctors can treat oral cancers via the following treatment methods, which you can use alone or in combination with:
– Newer targeted therapies
What is oral cancer screening?
It only takes three minutes to screen for oral cancer. An oral cancer screening consists of a verbal, visual, and physical examination and includes the following:
– An in-depth review of your oral health history and your overall health history. Your trusted Tarzana dentist will ask you questions that help assess your level of risk for mouth cancer.
– A visual examination of all the areas of your mouth and throat. Your dentist will look for any abnormalities such as sores and red or white patches. The analysis includes the lips, cheeks, gums, tongue, floor, and roof of the mouth and far-back section of your tongue.
Early detection is critical for preventing oral cancer
It’s concerning how many people may end up with oral and throat cancer. However, the good news is ensuring early detection is as easy as attending your yearly dental exams. You may not realize that oral cancer screening is part of your regular dental checkups. A dentist can detect any changes in tissue, which could be a sign of cancer. Additionally, your trusted Tarzana dentist can diagnose them during the curable stages. If oral cancer is detected early, the survival rate is 80 percent to 90 percent.
Visit Dr. Kanani today for oral cancer prevention
Trusted Tarzana dentist Dr. Kaveh Kanani has been treating patients in his Los Angeles dental office since 2001. Dr. Kanani has been helping patients improve their smiles for years. Dr. Kanani will work with you to select the best treatment option. Additionally, visiting Dr. Kanani twice a year will help you practice early detection for oral cancer. Dr. Kanani will inspect your mouth each visit to ensure there are no abnormalities. Visit his eco-friendly dental office in Los Angeles today. If you aren’t satisfied with your smile, call Dr. Kanani right away. One phone call could make all the difference. Dr. Kanani and his dedicated staff will welcome you into their eco-friendly Tarzana dental office. Call Dr. Kanani today for a free consultation.